- 200g basmati rice
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods, cracked
- 1½ tsp medium curry powder
- 50g frozen peas
- 50g frozen sweetcorn
- 50g flaked almonds (optional)
- 375ml stock (1 stock cube dissolved in 375 ml boiling water)
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Rinse and soak the rice for 10 mins. Heat a large, ovenproof saucepan. Add the oil, then the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook on a low heat until the onion is soft. Add the cloves, cinnamon and cardamom pods and cook for a further 2 mins on a low heat. Add the curry powder and cook for a further 2 mins, then stir.
- Drain the rice and add it to the saucepan. Stir so that the rice is coated in the oil and spices. Add the peas, sweetcorn and half the flaked almonds, if using. Pour over the stock and stir.
- Cover the pan with a lid or with a sheet of foil, then cook in the oven for 15-20 mins. Remove from the oven, scatter with the remaining almonds, if using, and serve.
BBC Good Food